Monday, January 21, 2008

to sew or not to sew...



the week went by with gray clouds, and almost continual rain, so i am thoroughly enjoying this burst of sun shining thru my window. i'd be tempted to go outside, except it's freezing out, and francis is (no school today) happily humming away in his room, contructing his newest star wars lego acquisition. on sunny days like these, i like to migrate around the apartment, following the sun like a cat: coffee in the kitchen, reading in the living room, and then sometimes just curling up for a mid-afternoon nap, just to feel the warmth beating on my face.



i've just had my coffee (in the sun!)and after this, i'll be on to my project: making flaxseed warming pillows, which i thought i'd share with you. i made these for christmas presents for the women in my family this year, and did not blog about it because i wanted the gifts to be a surprise. but i have alot of supplies left over, and i've decided to make some more. i thought i should also let you know: i am not a sewer. (according to webster, a "sewer" is: a person or thing that sews. a thing?!! alarmingly enough, a "sewer" is also: an underground pipe to carry off water and waste matter. hmmm...i am not either of these, but for the purposes of this blog, i will be referring to definition #1.) i am also not a knitter; i prefer the paper end of crafting: cutting and glueing, collaging, making my own cards,etc. about as handy as i have been regarding fabric in the past, has been to make iron-on t-shirts. and even they frustrated me.



i grew up with a mother who knew how to sew, made her own clothes when she was young, and then made alot of clothes for us when we were kids. she made all my prom dresses. she made my wedding dress. she is a very accomplished sewer.( person who sews!) so it made sense that i should learn, (and i assumed i could), and she DID try to teach me. she really did. she was really patient. however, i was not. i did not like all the steps: pre-washing the fabric, and then all the ironing; i just wanted to cut. and the pinning of all the pieces! i just wanted to sew. and then, when i was sewing, i had a problem with the pedal. (in drivers ed, my instructor called me "lead foot") i could not keep it from going too fast and zipping away with my fabric. grrrr! and then all the seam-ripping my mistakes and starting over. !!! it was really more than my 20-yr-old-self could bear. my mother, on more than one occasion, had to rescue her sewing machine FROM me, and i think my dad observed that if i COULD have lifted it, it might have been in danger of being thrown. i was a very angry sewer. it was not relaxing. i decided it was not for me. and i haven't done it since then. even sadder was the end result: it was not the heirloom piece i had been hoping for. unfortunately, the project that i was so laboring to complete was: first a quilt, that became, in one of my "genius" ideas, a quilt dress. i do not know whatever possessed me to make a quilt dress. and my mother let me! of course i didn't start with an easy project, like a pillow, or an A-line skirt. i HAD to make a quilt dress. piecing all the squares together to make the strips, sewing all the strips together to make a large enough block of fabric to cut the pattern out of. i must have been having a vanity trip, or going thru a very sad fashion phase, because the only thing that kept me going on this ridiculous project was: how awesome it was going to be when it was finally done. no one else would have anything like it! (ain't that the truth!) and i will tell you: i did finish it. i triumphantly put it on only to discover two things. two things that made me want to cry. 1.) it was ugly. (whose bright idea was it to make a quilt that was a dress?) however, in my vanity, i ignored this point, (afterall, i did not want to seem unappreciative of all my mother's time and labor spent with me) and instead, focused on 2.) it weighed about 80 lbs. my shoulders ached after wearing it for awhile. i think i forced myself to wear it a few times, so that all my efforts weren't a complete waste, but, it soon found it's way into my closet, never to again see the light of day. my mother rescued it many years later, and now it is stored in her closet. she tried to wear it once, out of nostalgia i think, but confessed later, in the kindest way possible, so as to not hurt my feelings, that it WAS a bit heavy. and i had to laugh. so we just laughed and laughed and laughed. and there it stays. in the closet. it stays there for a good laugh.

so, that is why, this undertaking of even making a pillow, was a bit daunting to me. my friend karen made us a warming pillow last year for christmas, which we use all the time. this year, i saw them at all sorts of places, selling for like $40! and i thought to myself (in my usual DIY fashion): i could make that. then, my friend melissa blogged about how to make them, and where she had gotten her idea from, and i thought: good. i'll just copy them. but: i couldn't copy them. they were sewers. i was not. i couldn't make fancy little pillow-cases for my flaxseed pillows; i just wanted to sew four straight lines and be done with it. so here it is: and they cost less than $10 a piece to make, so enjoy! now go make your own.

HOW TO MAKE A FLAXSEED WARMING PILLOW: FOR THE NON-SEWER:

1.) get your fabric. (i tried Jo-Ann's before a friend told me about this little gem of a shop in seattle, the quilting loft. very very cool fabric!)

2.) sad to say, you must then wash and iron it. a very boring step.

3.) determine your size, and cut, with fabric scissors. (remember, it needs to fit into a microwave, so you can't make 'em too big. i made mine 7.5 inches by 18.)

4.) place the outsides on the inside, and pin: a 1/4 inch in on all four sides. you don't need alot of pins. just enough to guide your eye when you're sewing. (and don't forget: remove them as you sew.)

5.) and now: to sew! there is hope if you do not have a machine. i do not own one, but have many friends who do. just ask a friend if you can come over for coffee and borrow their machine! (haha) if your friend does not trust your sewing skills, maybe see about trading something: they sew four straight lines, you bring a cake? or even, see if a local shop does what the quilting loft offers, a sewing lounge: machines available to use in the store, for $10.)

i sewed at my friend keri's house, and at my friend jennifer's. i got some tips i didn't previously know:

backstitch to start your sewing, and backstitch to end it.
start in the middle of one of the small ends: this will be your opening (to pull the pillow thru.)
sew all three sides, and finish the fourth with about a 2 inch hole. (my 1 inch holes were too small; i could barely pull my pillow back thru! much frustration!)

6.) cut the corners at an angle, and then pull your pillow inside out. now the outside fabric should be on the outside.

7.) iron it again.



8.) stuff it.



use the back of a cardboard cereal box to make a funnel, and pour in the flaxseed. mine was trial and error, and i ended up using 5 cups of flaxseed, and 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp. dried lavender, with a pinch of chamomile. (it does not need chamomile, only i had already bought it, and was trying to use some of it. my first try was way too much, and our apartment was reeking like a field of weeds, and i was sneezing for days, so you don't want to use chamomile if the person you're giving it to gets allergies easily. just using lavender is ok. and you could use more than i did. mine is a faint smell, not overpowering. and i used dried lavender, not the essential oil, because with the oil, you needed to make a pillow cover, which i did not know how to do. the dried lavender works fine. i also found flaxseed very cheap at the old weird fred meyer at 85th and greenwood (seattle) for only $1 a pound! half the price than at whole foods! so it can be found at reasonable prices...)

9.) sew your opening shut. by hand or machine. i tried the first one by hand, and it looked sadly as if a 5 yr. old had done it. so i machine-sewed not only the hole, but the whole end for uniformity. and it looked very nice.

10.) voila! you have a pillow!



to heat: place on a paper towel in the microwave and nuke for 1-3 minutes, depending on your microwave. do not overheat or it can scorch! for moist heat: sprinkle with a little water before microwaving. to chill: place in a ziploc bag and store in the freezer 2 hours or overnight, to use as a cold pak.

uses: fold in half lengthwise and use around your neck to relieve muscle tension and stress. fold in half width-wise and place behind your back for aches. lay it on your lap for warmth. stick it under your covers to warm up your bed at night. or sleep with it at your feet!

i made one for greg this christmas, because he saw me making them and said, "which one is for me?" i said: "oh. none. you want one?" luckily, i had gotten one kind of non-feminine fabric: a vintage-looking western print. so i made one for him. he uses it all the time. i use it all the time. francis tries to, when he can get a turn. there just isn't enough pillow to go around for the three of us. now, francis wants his own. i want my own. so, i'm off again to make some more: one for francis, one for me, and then some...

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

hazel and I fight over who gets to use ours when we watch TV...we just love it!

melissa said...

ok...first...
i LOVE YOUR PILLOWS!!! YEAH!!!

and...i know very well the quilt dress and remember you wearing it! oh...we were a strange bunch. but thankfully, i was jealous of the sewing lessons, so took some from your mama myself! thanks, linda!

i'm loving all of your fabrics! great job, rach!

xoxoxo

tania said...

wow, those are great, rachel!

bandwidow said...

I read your post quite some time ago and forgot to comment...i've remembered to your chasing the sun like a cat analogy many times over that last week, it is quite a content feeling.

sarah diama said...

fun fun rachel! Aren't textiles great!?!! We love the pillow and JD really enjoys his shirt - it's honestly a little refreshing to see him wear something other than an ALL white t-shirts!

keep sewing! I loved the quilt dress story... I'm going to have to inquire about it next time we go home, I'm not sure I've seen this masterpiece.... (I think I would have remembered it!)

xoxo, sarah